Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Remember Whensday #2 - My Maturnal Grandparents.

As a young boy, at times I was asked to stay with my maturnal grand parents John and Clara Miller in their home to help them with their chores.  They were in their 80's and both lived over 90.  They milked cows by hand, raised pigs, chickens, did not have running water in their home and in the winter, I remember the water bucket was frozen in the morning.

Here they are when they were young.


Here they are shortly before Grandad passed away.


Here is a page from my mother's journal of her family.  My mom is the little girl standing between her mother and father.  The other three pictures are of her father, who was a fun loving man.  Mom grew up on the west side of Teton Valley, Idaho in the Cedron area.

7 comments:

Pyatshaw said...

Everyone always seems very serious in those old photos. I have some which are very similar.

Sunny said...

I think the person taking the picture would say, "Don't anyone move." So everyone stood still, with no smiles!
My old family pics are the same way. But they are great memories regardless.
Sunny :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Hi Bill -- This was very nice. Your Idaho roots go way back.

Also just wanted to comment on how much I enjoyed your last couple of posts, beautiful pictures. I really love your area and, like you said on our blog, we have GOT to go back there soon.

Janie said...

Great vintage photos of your family. It's always interesting to contemplate the lives these people led so long ago. Nice that you had a chance to get to know your maternal grandparents.

Grayquill said...

Dear Lord, Thank you I was allowed to live in a day of running water and inside plumbing.
Grateful!!
Over and out - Grayquill

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Neat Bill. I always enjoy seeing the old pictures of our relatives. Have you done any Genealogy??? I love doing it--and have learned so much about my relatives. How did your family first get to Idaho? That would be an interesting story.

Have a great day.
Betsy

Hildred said...

Your pictures are great and I'm sure you have many stories of your grandparents as well. Love your grandfather's moustache...