Friday, May 1, 2009

Sharp-tailed grouse




This is my first attempt at blogging and I hope it will be an enjoyable experience.




After photographing and watching sage grouse on their leks for a month, I have switched to sharp-tailed grouse.


Monday I visited my favorite lek and watched 14 males dancing for the females. One of the males flew up on the hood of my truck. I took a series of pictures of it. It sounded like I was in a bass drum as it stomped on the hood. The fog was so bad that I had trouble getting good pictures.




On Wednesday morning I went out again but it started raining and picture taking was held to a minimum. Thursday morning was a much better day for light and I was able to get some good pictures. Most of the fighting and breeding occurred before it got light enough for pictures. There were 16 males and four females on the lek. Two of the females were bred before it got light enough for pictures.




No comments: