Saturday, May 2, 2009

Leucistic robin


As an outdoor writer for local papers, I get some interesting phone calls.
"Come and see my strange looking robin," a caller said last week.
So on my way home from covering a track meet in Idaho Falls, Idaho, I stopped at this old couples home nestled in some mature cottonwoods, scrubs and ponds. The man told me the robin had just been there but had probably "gone to bed" for the evening.
As we visited here came this robin with its red breast, but a mostly white back and tail. Some of the red breast also had white splashes in it. It was a sight to behold. I have seen a leucistic Brewer's blackbird before but never a robin.
I will go back to get some better pictures as its normal colored female mate is now nesting.

1 comment:

Bill S. said...

Mr. Lee,

Thanks for the comments and viewing my blog. I checked out your blog and you do wonderful work.