Tuesday, May 5, 2009

More crossbills


I was jumping on the trampoline with my three-year-old granddaughter when a flock of about 30 Red crossbills showed up at the feeders this afternoon. There were the drab females and males of all different shades of yellow, orange and bright red. What a sight!!!!
I went in the house to get my camera and she wanted "grandma's" camera and we took pictures together until "grandma's" camera ran out of batteries. She loves the American Goldfinch and everytime the crossbills would attack the goldfinch, she would shout at them. It was very fun to watch her. She has been on many a birding outing with me. We are planning on going to the celebration of International Migratory Bird Day to be held at Camas National Wildlife Refuge area next Saturday.
At Camas and nearby Mud Lake Management Area are three Great Horned owl nests that I have not visited in about a month. The owlettes should have hatched out and it will be interesting to see them.
Also, if the rain finally ends, letting me have enough light to take some pictures before I have to be to school, I will visit the sharp-tailed grouse leks in the morning. I usually leave home at 5 and it takes me about 35 minutes to be at the lek. If there are no clouds, I can start shooting at 6:15 and then I leave about 7:30 to be to school by 8. If there is heavy cloud cover, I never get enough light for good pictures before I have to leave.

No comments: