Thursday, May 7, 2009

Lazuli Buntings










What a beautiful sight this morning in my backyard as I saw two Lazuli Buntings joining the 30 American Goldfinch, White-winged and Red Crossbills, House finch, Red-winged blackbirds, a flicker, Black-headed grosbeaks, Pine siskins and robins. My feeders are taking a beating and all the birds are eating me out of house and home - but oh what a joy to watch them.
Hopefully Evening Grosbeaks and Cedar and Bohemian Waxwings will soon show up to start nesting.
The Pine siskins are feisty little devils often chasing even the larger Red Grosbeaks off the feeders. Yesterday evening I had a White-crowned sparrow in my backyard.
The strong winds the last three days has played havoc with trying to keep feed in the feeders. Fifty mph winds scatter everything everywhere. It is not fit for man or beast.
A friend of mine would like me to start writing about fishing and fish. I too want to do that, but with ice on most lakes still and rivers running muddy and high, that won't happen for a week or two. But in the meantime I will continue to write and photograph birds.
Have a great day.

No comments: