Sunday, October 31, 2010

Mountain Happiness

My friend came up with this saying:  "If you are lucky enough to be in the mountians; you are lucky enough."  I agree and since my wife wants me to get an elk to eat this winter, I have been spending evenings and weekends in the mountians.  All the elk have escaped me, but this week I have seen over 30 moose.  It is breeding time and there are usually numerous bulls with the cows.  Here is a cow with a lazy bull  sleeping behind her.


I have seen over 20 deer.  If you look close you can see four in this picture alone.


But the most thrilling were four more Great Grey owls and two Great-horned owls that I saw this week.  That makes nine Great Greys that I have seen in a week.  The most for me ever during a fall or winter.    Usually they work the old clear cuts that have some patches of grass for them to hunt rodents in.


Sorry for the sideways picture on this one, I just could not get it to straighten up.  But this one was successful  as it has a gopher in its right talons. 


What an exciting week.  Five partial or full days to spend in the wilds of Idaho.

13 comments:

Birding is Fun! said...

Fantastic photos Bill! Can I submit the middle Great Gray Owl photo to the competition on my website in your name?!

Gaelyn said...

Wow, those are all excellent sightings, especially the last one. Now I sure hope you get your elk, yum.

Monts said...

"Oh Boy" those are some super images Bill, love the one with the Gopher in its talon.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great shots, especially of the owls.

My Mother always said that she would not live anywhere where she couldn't see mountains, and she didn't.

Amanda said...

STUNNING!!! Love them all.

DaveABirding said...

Lucky enough, indeed! I hope the elk become as plentiful as the owls for you.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Smiles, smiles, you make me smile the more I see these delightful and wonderfully photographed Great Grays...now while the Elk can feed your tummy, those Great Grays can feed your spirit, well sort of ;)))))

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Fabulous Bill. The picture of the deer reminds me of that artist that was popular a few years ago, I think her name was Beverly Doolittle, who painted woodsy scenes in which you could, if you looked hard enough, make out animals and sometimes people.

Good luck on the hunt (it sure isn't wasted time no matter what).

Unknown said...

Amazing photos of the owls. Clicking to enlarge them reveals wonderful detail -- those eyes!

Did you get the booklet on migratory birds?

Susan Ellis said...

These are stunning! I love the owl shots especially, and am beginning to believe you're a veritable wizard with the camera!

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Bill I hope you are able to get an Elk. Everyone knows you must keep the wife happy. lol
These pictures are really stunning like Susan just mentioned in her comment. It did take a minute to find the last deer but wow what a photo.
Thanks again for your help Bill
Always
Maggie

eileeninmd said...

WOW, great sightings. I love the moose, deer and most of all the owls. The Great Grey is awesome. I would love to see just one someday.

Janie said...

I agree with your friend's saying. You are one lucky fellow.
Great photos. I love the last one of the owl with his gopher catch.