Friday, August 28, 2009

Cascade Creek and Indian Lake

The southwest corner of Yellowstone Park is known as Cascade Corner with many waterfalls and cascades as the creeks drop several hundred feet in just a few miles.  This is the home of many birds and animals during the summer, but most migrate out when the heavy weather of winter sets in.
Cascade Creek runs into the park from the bordering Targhee National Forest.  Here the creek cascades over the rock in the canyon formed by the rushing waters.
Indian Lake is a small lake near the Yellowstone border just inside the Wyoming state line.  It is home to both nesting trumpeter swan and Common Loons.  One of the few area lakes where both nest.
This area is the summer home of many birds and animals but most, like this Hairy Woodpecker, migrate out of the area when the hard winter weather sets in dropping from 10 to 20 feet of snow here.

4 comments:

Sunny said...

Beautiful pictures. Idaho has so many lovely areas.
Sunny :)

Jann said...

I think I'm moving to Rexburg so I can trot on over to Yellowstone whenever the mood strikes...sigh...how are the winters there? ;o) Nice shots!

Janie said...

I hadn't heard the area called "cascade corner", but it fits. Beautiful photos!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh My, Bill... Would I LOVE to see those cascades. We love waterfalls --and haven't made any trips west yet to see all of them out there. Great photos!!!

Beautiful picture of the Hairy also... I'm not sure I have seen one--although I think we have some around.

Betsy