Sunday, November 28, 2010

Trumpeter swans on the Henrys Fork

Yesterday while coming back from ice fishing Henrys Lake, the Henrys Fork of the Snake River was full on migrating trumpeter swans.  Here two adults (white ones) tend a flock of seven young ones.


Groups from two to nine continually drop in to join the 200 already on the water.


Here four come in for a landing.


Two pair of adults start arguing over the you five juveniles.  Reminded me of some divorced humans fighting for custody.


A lot of yelling, flapping of wings and raising all heck.


The fight finally increases coming to blows and bites while the kids start sounding off.


Other adults arrive to calm the situation as the two pair are separated.


A half hour was way too short to watch this great action movie, but it was a great way to spend a little time in the wilds of Idaho.

16 comments:

Veronica Wald said...

Love those guys!

Grayquill said...

I liked that - Nice. I have only seen these magnificent birds a few times in my years. Thanks for the view.

Unknown said...

Fight! Fight! Nothing draws a crowd like a good fight. It is good to see these beautiful birds thriving. I remember when they were almost extinct. Great photos.

Bob Bushell said...

I love the Trumpeter Swans, they are beautiful.

troutbirder said...

What a magnificent bird. Great pics. They are quite rare in my neck of the woods so I've only seen a few.

Dagmar said...

So much better watching them here then on a movie.

Love what you've shown us.
Hugs D.

DaveABirding said...

Looks like quite a show, enjoy them as they pass through.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Soooo beautiful, soooo graceful and the images soooo delightful Bill~

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Awww! They're too beautiful to fight like that. Lovely photo essay!~

Kelly said...

Wow!! They are just gorgeous. I always remember the children's book "The Trumpet of the Swan" by E.B. White when I see these birds. We don't get to see them too often around here...

Jann said...

I could've watched them for a long time, too...beautiful birds and wonderful shots. :O)

Kcalpesh said...

These are really awesome captures!!

Janie said...

I've seen the trumpeter swans a few times in the Tetons. Great action captures of these beauties.

Sally in WA said...

Great photos, Bill. Our lake is a winter home to a good size population. One year we had over 450 trumpeters. I love watching and listening to them.

Anonymous said...

This really solved my problem, thank you!.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this wonderful post.Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer..