Saturday, September 11, 2010

Poop equals food.

"Some people's garbage is other's treasures," I have heard throughout my life.  But coyote poop for food?  Last week on a drive through the mountains, every pile of coyote poop I found was covered with butterflies.


Now I am not good at butterfly names, but these must be finding something they like in this pile of leftovers.  I wonder if it gives them their color.  Now this pile attracks more blues and flies than the orange ones.



Now this one's diet is more to my liking and it is beautiful.



Just a little bit of the wildness of Idaho.

9 comments:

Susan Ellis said...

Gorgeous butterflies...maybe it's a case of opposites attract!

Veronica Wald said...

I think the orange poop butterflies are checkerspots.
I've seen them doing the same thing in what looked like urine.
There must be minerals or some other attractive nutrition.
It's the ultimate recycling. Interesting post, as always, Bill.

Birding is Fun! said...

I've seen that phenomenon before too. Sweet photos Bill!

Monts said...

Beautiful Images Bill (of the butterflies I mean)maybe they do it because they want to be party poopers.
Have a good week.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Bill those top butterflies look like our Great-spangled Fratillary butterflies. They get wonderful minerals that is needed from any kind of food, or rotting anything for that matter. Your images are quite nice too Bill! Have a wonderful week~ Mary

Gaelyn said...

This great recycling provided you with an excellent photo op.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Gaelyn's right! This takes recycling to a whole different level. Beautiful butterflies.

Splendid Little Stars said...

That's really interesting! I spent some vacation time in northern Idaho in 2008 and loved its wildness. I look forward to reading more of your blog posts.

Janie said...

A few years ago, I photographed those orange butterflies feasting on coyote poop. I guess that's their preferred diet. I'd go for the flowers, I think.